International travel FOR NON-EU STUDENTS

Visa information

Your Immigration Responsibilities

It is important that, as an international student, you comply with the UK immigration regulations during your stay in the UK. Your immigration responsibilities are to:

  • Provide East Sussex College with a copy of your current passport and visa/Biometric Residence Permit so the college can record your visa expiry date
  • Keep your UK contact details up to date with the College via your personal tutor and accommodation team
  • Inform us of a change in your address whilst you are studying with us
  • Re-enrol for your course on time each academic year
  • Study whilst you are in the UK (ensuring that you meet the progression and attendance requirements of your course with no significant gaps or absences)
  • Follow College processes if you decide to defer or suspend your studies, change your registration status, or withdraw from your course. You are strongly advised to consult the Immigration Compliance Officer for advice on how such changes would affect your current immigration status
  • Leave the UK if you defer or suspend your studies, withdraw from your course or your course is terminated or if you are asked to re-sit without residence (you should seek immigration advice if your student registration changes in any of these ways)
  • Register with the police if required, and update your certificate of Police registration with any change of personal details
  • Ensure you do not breach the conditions of your visa: – for example, do not break the rules on working or claiming public funds and make sure you register with the Police, if required, and update your Police Registration Certificate within 7 days of any change to your circumstances
  • Ensure that you continue to retain a valid visa by extending or applying for a new visa before your current visa expires and that you provide the College with a copy of any new visa
  • Ensure you provide the College with a copy of a new/renewed passport each time this is obtained
  • Prioritise your full-time studies over part time-employment and social engagements
  • Attend all classes and tutorials regularly and punctually. The College expects a minimum of 95% attendance. If your attendance falls below 95% the College Student Concern Procedures may be applied to you. Sickness and authorised absence all count as negative attendance
  • Report all absences to the College absence line giving your name, student number and reason for absence
  • Submit the best quality work you are capable of on time.

Correct at June 2018

Student Visas

It is important that if you wish to study in the UK, you hold an appropriate visa to do so.

If you have already been accepted onto a course of study, there are two types of visa for studying in the UK: short-term student visa and Tier 4 student visas.

If you are coming to the UK to study for more than six months and the course you wish to study is an academic course, then you should apply for a student visa under Tier 4 of the points-based system before travelling to the UK, regardless of your nationality.

If you are not sure, whether you need a visa to study with us, please contact us, or check the UK Visas and Immigration website (UKVI) or UK Council for International Student Affairs (UKCISA).

Short-Term Student Visas


The ordinary 'short-term student' category will allow you to come to the UK if you are aged 16 years or over and want to enter:

  • for up to 6 months to study a short course; or
  • for up to 11 months to study an English language course.

The 'short-term student (child)' category will allow you to come to the UK if you are under 16 years old, and want to enter:

  • for up to 6 months to study a course

For some nationalities (“non-visa nationals”) who come to the UK as a student visitor, it is not compulsory to obtain entry clearance before travelling to the UK as long as your course is less than six months long.

If you choose to come as a short-term student, you will not be allowed to do any work or work placement (even if it is part of a course or unpaid work). Short-term students are not allowed to apply to switch into any other immigration category while still in the UK.

If you wish to continue studying in the UK after your immigration permission as a short-term student has come to an end, you will need to return home and apply for entry clearance as a Tier 4 student, or in another appropriate immigration category.

Please click here for more information regarding short-term student visas from the UK Council for International Student Affairs or UKCISA.

Tier 4 Student Visas

Tier 4 is part of UK Visas and Immigration’s (UKVI) points-based system for immigration. It is for migrants who wish to study in the UK. This category is for adult students who want to come to or remain in the UK for their post-16 education.

The college is a Tier 4 Registered Sponsor and has been awarded Tier 4 Sponsor Status by the UK Visas & Immigration (Home Office) indicating that the college fully meets the licensing requirements.

If you want to study a course at or above National Qualification Framework (NQF) Level 3, you should apply under the Tier 4 (General) route. The College is not permitted to enroll students under the Tier 4 (Child) route.

If you are under 18 years of age you will be asked to provide a Parental Consent Letter when applying for your student visa. Please contact us to request a template Parental Consent Letter.

As your education provider, we will send you a reference number called a confirmation of acceptance for studies (CAS) once we have offered you a place on your chosen course. You will need to enter this on your visa application.

The cost of the CAS (£21.00) is made payable to the college and is paid at the same time as your deposit. Before we issue your CAS, we will first check that you have met the entry requirements for your chosen course. To enable us to do this you must send us your educational certificates including a recognised Secured English Language Test certificate by an approved provider as directed by the Home Office.

For further information, please visit the UKVI website.

Frequently asked questions (FAQs)

What do I need to apply for a Tier 4 student visa?:

  • A Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies
  • Sufficient funds to cover your course fees for the first period of study
  • Sufficient funds to pass a maintenance test, showing that you have £1,015 (based on March 2018 figures from the UKVI for courses outside of London) per month for living expenses for up to nine months of study
  • Original certificates to prove you have met the entry requirements for your course
  • A good track record in studying