English Language & Literature A-Level

Our English Literature and Language A-Level allows you to combine literary and linguistic approaches to explore how writers convey their ideas, develop your reading ability, and become a skilled producer of original writing.




Level 3

Course Type

16 +


A Level


Options Course Code Starts Ends
apply 03117y1 09/09/24 19/06/26

What will I study?

During the next two years, you will study a wide range of engaging (and mainly modern) literary and non-fiction texts. You will learn about how language is used to express ideas in literary forms, including novels, poetry and drama. You will also study the language of speech in everyday life and how it is used in a variety of non-fiction forms, including media interviews, articles, speeches, letters, diaries and graphic novels.

You will learn literary and linguistic methods to develop clear and coherent analysis. You will study one of the most influential and best-loved novels of the 20th Century 'The Great Gatsby', and demonstrate your knowledge and understanding of narrative techniques in writing your own original stories.

Your coursework is based on autobiographical and original non-fiction writing.

What previous qualifications or experience do I need?

A GCSE grade 5 in English Language.,Our general entry requirements to study 3 A-Levels or any mixed level 3 programme are: 5 GCSEs grade 4-9 including English Language and/or Maths at grade 5. Subject specific entry criteria may also apply. Our general entry requirements to study 4 A-Levels are: 6 GCSEs grade 4-9 including English Language and Maths at grade 6. Subject specific entry criteria may also apply.

How will I be assessed?

There are three external exams at the end of the second year worth 80% of the marks. The remaining 20% of the qualification will require you to submit two pieces of independent coursework.

What qualification will I achieve?

GCE A Level English Language and Literature (OCR)

What can I do after completing this course?

A-Level English Language and Literature is highly prized by universities because you will be able to demonstrate advanced skills in critical reading and discursive essay writing. It provides an excellent basis for a wide variety of degree courses, especially journalism, creative writing and English.

Are there any extra costs?

You will need to purchase copies of all set texts studied and some extra texts for your independent study. The approximate cost over two years is likely to be about £50. A full book list will be supplied during your Get to Know Day. You will also need approximately £25 to take part in enriching trips and visits.

Additional Info

As a department, we arrange many opportunities for English enrichment. We hold events for National Poetry Day and an annual Creative Writing competition with workshops sponsored by the Asham Literary Trust. We have links to BBC Radio 4 Book Club and have taken groups of students to take part in broadcasts. We also have links with the Charleston Trust's Literary Festivals. There are regular theatre trips to productions of set texts and sometimes just for fun!